Preventative dentistry is the practice of caring for your teeth to keep them healthy through education, early diagnosis, and proper hygiene. The goal of preventative dentistry is to prevent the development of advanced oral health problems such as cavities, gum disease, enamel wear, and more. Adequate preventative dentistry requires both the patient and their dental team. Dr. Freano and his team invite patients to be active in their preventative dental care for their long term oral health.
Brushing and flossing twice a day, every day is your first defense against developing complex oral health concerns. Applying proper brushing and flossing techniques to your daily routine can deter tooth decay, halitosis, gum disease, and tooth loss. If you are unsure how to practice proper techniques, please ask Dr. Freano or one of our dental team members at your next visit to review this with you. Brushing and flossing incorrectly can actually irritate the gums, causing issues such as bleeding gums, swelling, and sensitivity.
The next best defense for your oral health is scheduling an appointment for a professional dental cleaning and check-up with Dr. Freano to help you determine how frequently you need to visit. If you have already begun to develop gum disease, you may need to visit on a more frequent basis to keep your gums healthy. Most patients are encouraged to visit every 6 months.
Many patients have some fear and anxiety about dental treatments. Our office wants you to be prepared and feel confident when visiting our practice and receiving your full benefit. Dr. Freano and his dental team are highly trained and compassionate, offering quality care through the use of the latest dental technology. Professional dental cleanings are one of the best ways to maintain your oral health. Below is a brief description of what to expect from your dental cleaning.
Dental Cleanings in Lexington Kentucky
- Our experienced gentle dental hygienist will perform an intra-oral camera exam to help with diagnosing dental matters.
- Next, the hygienist will complete a periodontal exam to screen for signs of gum disease. This will help determine the frequency of dental cleanings.
- Then, the hygienist will use a temporary oral dye to disclose any plaque, tartar, or debris to properly educate you on oral home care.
- After hygiene instructions have been reviewed, our hygienist will then use small metal tools to remove the plaque and tarter. You may experience some pressure, but most patients report little to no discomfort.
- The next step is polishing your teeth with a polishing compound to shine your teeth, making them feel smoother and clean.
- Then, the hygienist will floss your teeth, thoroughly removing remaining particles between teeth.
- Finally, fluoride treatment will be provided. This can deter the development of future cavities.
Feel free to ask questions at any step along the way. Our mission is to make you feel at home in our office.
Schedule A Dental Exam Today
To learn more about how preventative dentistry can help you maintain your best oral health, contact Complete Dentistry For All Ages online or call 859-296-9711.