In the human body, enamel is surprisingly one of the strongest substances. Enamel is the hard, outer shell that covers each tooth. This durable shield is very important because it protects the teeth from decay. Even though it is very tough, it does have limits. Unfortunately, if a tooth’s enamel is destroyed, the body does not replace it like many other parts of the body.
Despite the tooth being covered in this tough substance, it is not indestructible. It is actually common for people to get small chips in their teeth. A few causes of a chipped tooth include:
- Biting on a something hard like ice or nuts
- A blow to the mouth from contact sports
- Teeth grinding
- A fall or vehicle accident
If you have a chipped tooth, it is important to know what to do to restore the tooth to its original state. Dr. Doyle Freano is a Lexington, KY dentist that offers comprehensive dental treatments to restore a tooth that has been chipped. Most people will know they have a chipped tooth because they can easily feel the jagged edge with their tongue. Other symptoms include pain when biting down and irritation around the gums.
What to do if you have a chipped tooth
A small chip in your tooth may not seem like an emergency but it actually should be looked at as soon as possible. Most of the time it won’t even hurt but the true damage comes from ignoring the problem. Waiting to treat any teeth that are chipped may lead to further dental problems. It could become infected or allow bacteria to enter the tooth canal. This can cause a lot of pain and possibly even lead to tooth loss. If any of your teeth become chipped, you should contact the office of Dr. Freano to have it looked at as soon as possible. He will be able to diagnose and determine the severity of the teeth that are chipped with a visual exam.
Chipped Tooth Repair & Treatment
Dr. Freano offers several treatments to repair your chipped tooth at his Lexington, KY dentist office. Treatment will be determined by the severity of the damage. A small chip can most likely be repaired in one visit but larger chips may require several visits to fix.
- Dental Filling: If you only chipped a small piece of enamel, Dr. Freano can repair it with a simple dental filling. This common dental procedure can be completed in a single visit.
- Dental Bonding: Tooth bonding is a quick repair for a chipped tooth, especially if it is located on the front teeth. Dr. Freano will apply a tooth-colored resin directly to the tooth and sculpt into the desired shape. This an inexpensive treatment that can be completed in a single visit but is not considered permanent.
- Porcelain Veneers: Dental veneers offer a more permanent solution for chipped teeth. A tooth veneer is an ultra-thin shell that is bonded to the front of a tooth to hide the damage. This treatment will take about two to three dentist appointments to complete.
- Dental Crown: Dental Crowns are used to “cap” a tooth that has been significantly chipped. Dr. Freano will place a custom dental crown over the chipped tooth to restore its strength and prevent further damage. This treatment will require two to three office visits to complete.