If you are missing teeth, Dr. Doyle Freano offers many options for replacement. Whenever possible, he will recommend dental implants as their benefits far outweigh those of dentures. Dental implants are the closest solution to your natural teeth if you are missing teeth. However, the best treatment for you will depend on your personal oral health needs and cosmetic goals. Dr. Freano will evaluate your gums and teeth and present you with all of your treatment options. He will explain the pros and cons of dental implants vs. dentures in his Lexington, KY office.
What are Dental Implants?
A dental implant is a titanium post that is surgically placed into the jawbone. It is a titanium post that acts as the tooth root to provide a strong foundation for the replacement tooth. Then the dentist will use that to attach a replacement tooth. Dental implants do not come loose like dentures and can last a lifetime if cared for properly along with regular dental visits.
What are Dentures?
Dentures are custom-made artificial teeth used to replace missing teeth. Traditional dentures are not permanent meaning you can remove them and put them back in when needed. They are made in a dental lab using impressions of your mouth. Dentures take some time to get used to and will need to be replaced or readjusted over time.
Dental Implants vs. Dentures
There are several factors that mark the differences between traditional dentures and dental implants:
- Cost: Dentures cost significantly less than dental implants upfront. But dentures will also need to be replaced, realigned, or rebased over time. This cost can add up depending on the wear and tear. Dental implants cost more but are a permanent solution. If you care for your dental implants properly and visit our Lexington, KY dental office regularly for teeth cleaning, they will last forever.
- Natural appearance: A face without teeth will appear sunken and can add years to your appearance. Both dentures and dental implants will help keep the natural shape of your face and lower jaw area. But dental implants look more like natural teeth when compared to dentures. Dental implants can also be color-matched to your natural teeth.
- Eating: Dentures will deliver about a 30-40% normal chewing function. Dental implants will deliver a 100% normal chewing function. The constant worry that your teeth may fall out while eating is not an issue with dental implants. Oftentimes, dentures may slip around or may not fit correctly leaving you with the worry of falling out.
- Fit: With dentures, you may need to apply a gooey adhesive every time you wear them to hold them in your mouth. Also, dentures may be a bit uncomfortable because they may cover a large portion of your mouth with plastic depending on the type of dentures you need. They may feel weird in your mouth and take some time to get used to because they are bulky.
- Bone loss: If you’re missing a tooth or multiple teeth, that void can cause bone loss and deterioration in your jawbone. Lexington, KY dentist Dr. Freano will recommend dental implants over dentures because they are the only option for missing teeth that stimulates the jaw bone which helps stimulate bone growth. This will also prevent bone loss.
- Care: Dentures involve a lot of care. They must be brushed daily and can possibly break if dropped. You can never let your dentures dry out and that can be a constant worry especially when not wearing them. Dental implants require the same care as your natural teeth which eliminates a lot of extra work. You can brush them and floss them without worrying about damaging them.
Learn More About Dental Implants
- Dental Implants Overview
- What Are Dental Implants?
- Benefits of Dental Implants
- Dental Implants FAQs
- Cost of Dental Implants
- Dental Implants for Multiple Teeth
- Single Tooth Dental Implant
- Dental Implant Process
Schedule a Dental Implant Consultation
Are you missing a single permanent tooth? Do you have rows of missing teeth? Dr. Freano can help. Call his office today at 859-554-1586 or request a dental appointment online.