Dr. Doyle Freano is a highly passionate and dedicated dentist in Lexington, KY. He has completed numerous continuing education courses throughout his years of practice. Dr. Freano offers dental implants to his patients who are missing teeth. A dental implant functions like a natural tooth, enabling patients to enjoy normal speech and a healthy diet without restrictions. As a permanent and durable treatment option for missing teeth, dental implants support bone regeneration, healthy gums, and overall oral health.
Parts of the Dental Implant
A dental implant is made up of 3 parts; the implant post, the abutment, and the prosthetic tooth.
The dental implant post is surgically embedded into your jaw bone, below the gum line. It is a cylinder-shaped screw made of biocompatible titanium. Over time, the implant post fuses to the jaw bone, creating a permanent and secure bond. This titanium post will act as the tooth root. In many cases, Dr. Freano will be able to surgically place the dental implant in his Lexington, KY office. He can also work with a local oral surgeon or periodontist to coordinate the surgical phase of treatment.
An abutment is a small metal part that connects to the implant post. Dr. Freano will connect the abutment to the implant post after it has fully fused to the bone. The implant post heals over a period of 3 to 6 months. Once the post is healed, Dr. Freano will add the abutment to the implant post to support the dental prosthesis.
The prosthetic tooth can be a dental crown for a single missing tooth. A dental crown is typically cemented or screwed onto the abutment. For multiple missing teeth, we will use a dental bridge or denture, which can be secured to the abutment by simply snapping them into place. The prosthetic tooth is the part that will look natural and will be color-matched to blend seamlessly with your natural teeth.
Types of Dental Implants
The type of dental implant you receive will depend on the number and location of your missing teeth as well as your overall oral health. Dr. Freano provides comprehensive dental exams and personalized treatment plans for each patient tailored to their unique cosmetic goals, dental health concerns, and budget.
- Single Tooth Dental Implant: Dental implants can be used to replace a single missing tooth. After the implant post is healed and fused to the jawbone, Dr. Freano attaches an abutment and dental crown.
- Dental Implant Secured Bridge: A dental bridge is often used to replace several consecutively missing teeth. Traditionally secured using prepared adjacent teeth; Dr. Freano usually recommends securing dental bridges with dental implants. Implants provide more structural support for the jaw and bite and need less maintenance.
- Dental Implant Secured Denture: Many patients struggle with ill-fitted dentures. Dentures are prone to slipping or falling out, causing embarrassment for patients. They can be secured using strategically placed dental implants. Dental implant-secured dentures allow patients to enjoy a diet without restriction and can help patients feel more confident in their smiles.
Learn More About Dental Implants
- Overview of Dental Implants
- Benefits of Dental Implants
- Dental Implants FAQs
- Dental Implant Process
- Cost of Dental Implants
- Dental Implants for Multiple Teeth
- Single Tooth Dental Implant
- Dental Implants vs Dentures
Schedule a Dental Consultation Today
Please contact Dr. Freano for restorative dental care in his Lexington office. If you are a new patient, call 859-554-1586. You may also request a dental appointment with Dr. Freano on our website.